How Automation redefine the Building Management & Operations
Managing the built environment in a sustainable manner is the biggest challenge. Building automation tools are emerging as cost effective solutions essentially for all formats of buildings. The building management system (BMS) is a computer based central control system installed within a building complex to monitors and manage the operation of mechanical and electrical equipment services to keep the building climate within a specified parameters to improve building’s efficiency.
Building Automation System is the part of BMS, consists of control devices with embedded computing and digital communications tools that enable automated system connected with web-based interface or mobile devices maintain communication protocol in a building to manage the equipment for operational efficiency, energy optimization and occupant comfort. BAS can also schedule equipment to be used when it is needed to eliminate wasted energy from spaces while they are unoccupied. These systems assimilate operating data over time, providing real-time information on energy usage, enabling early warning and rapid identification of faults, incorrect usage and allowing building operators to further refine the system as per practical usage to save utility costs and to meet sustainability objectives.
The modern building automation system consist broadly five essential components are Sensors, Controllers, Output devices, Communications protocols and Dashboard or user interface creates centralized network system of hardware and software to monitor, control and data recording of various facilities including comparison with design criteria and real time performance.
The Internet of Things (IoT) solutions delivers the leading technology platform with control systems to play a vital role in providing optimum energy management and increased operating efficiency from designing, programming, installing, commissioning and servicing to make automation more intelligent. Some of the basic applications of BMS / Integration are
- Customized remote monitoring of equipment from outside the facility. An open communication system allows to stay connected, monitor and control of building systems.
- Procurement, Installation, Commissioning, integration & operations of plants, equipment & accessories can be integrate with BAS to ensure smooth operations, optimise performance and minimise breakdowns.
- Establish the ideal sequence for equipment start ups prior to the arrival of occupants for maximum energy efficiency.
- Schedule of lighting from one location to another with on/off status based on space occupancy, type and level of lighting requirement.
- Advanced diagnostic capabilities of faults and controls to maximize the efficient use of equipment and provide timely maintenance solutions.
- Window, curtain and Blinds Opening / Closing controls.
- Automated irrigation system, water bodies and swimming pool operations
- The tenant billing for leased spaces and allocating costs among tenants.
- Reduce staffing, paperwork and downtime to optimize the operational & maintenance resources cost.
BMS is a wide range of applications with comprehensive services that include cost-effective energy management systems, intelligent building systems integration, Design integration, equipment controllers including Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC), environmental monitoring, fire protection with smoke management, alarms & CCTV with video surveillance, access control & monitoring, intrusion detection, public address system, lift and escalator operation, water storage & distribution, car parking, lighting controls, maintenance scheduling, facility management and energy conservations to reduce substantial amount of building expenses and wastages with improved environment, productivity and simplifies the overall building operations.